An Romanian United Fund Affiliate Organization is a nonprofit entity that has met all criteria for approval (described below) and has been approved by RUF's Board of Directors, and is consequently eligible to receive receive pass-through donations that are tax-deductible in the United States and funding from RUF.
As a result, donors in the United States can make tax-deductible donations to RUF that will be transferred 100% pass-through to the organization.
Criteria for approval
The same eligibility criteria for Community Partners apply to Affiliate Organizations:
- They must be registered as a nonprofit Association or Foundation (501c3 equivalent)
- Their mission must be aligned with RUF’s Mission
- Their activity and proposed project(s) must be within RUF’s Areas of Focus
- They must be at least two years old
- They cannot have any political affiliations
- They must be in compliance with all granting requirements for USA funds (as listed on the IRS website)
- TRANSPARENCY: yearly reports + financial statements
- EFFECTIVENESS: Organizations that demonstrate a successful activity in the past
- EFFICIENCY: Operational costs below 25% and many times much lower
- FINANCIAL VIABILITY: Not bankrupt, payments up to date
- GOVERNANCE: Strong leadership team, Independent Board of Directors
- REPUTATION: Untarnished reputation in the industry and online
Comparison with Community Partners
Romanian United Fund has a long term contract with its Community Partners, providing support, guidance, fundraising expertize and access to RUF's regular fundraising campaigns. We continuously work with our Community Partners throughout the year.
RUF's relations with its Affiliate Organizations is more ad hoc, on a project by project basis. Although we may promote our Affiliates to our Diaspora community, via our website or during our various fundraising programs, we do not do regular fundraising for Affiliate Organizations and our interactions are more limited.
Affiliate Organizations are prime candidates for being selected as new Community Partners in the future, especially if they prove sustained activity and a systemic impact as described below.
See our Affiliate Organization Registration Page.
Contracting and reporting
The affiliate organization (grantee) will sign a Contract of Affiliation, according to which to organization has the following obligations:
to file a timely report after the conclusion of the campaign, or no more than 6 months after the transfer of the money
to mention RUF on all communications pertaining to the campaign financed by RUF
Affiliate Organization Status
The affiliate status allows the organization to . It is an elevated status that provides access to the community partner selection process in the future.
A minimum amount of $5,000 of outside sources in the United States must be available for election.
NOTE: this particular requirement can be waived for the purposes of allocating the Ukrainian Peace Fund grants. Strong letters of recommendation are required to account for waving the outside sources requirement.
Do you like this page?